Estate Planning is more than a Will
To ensure that your wealth passes to your loved ones on your death, and you are safeguarded in the event of any incapacity, you need more than a Will. Your estate plan is like a rope, that needs to be strong when relied on. A Will is one important strand in the rope, but on its own can’t carry the weight of what needs to be done. See our range of estate planning services.
Ticking the right boxes
An estate plan covers off on all of the elements required to carry you and your family through. It consists of many ‘strands’. A strong estate plan ticks the following boxes:
- A Will that is thorough and well drafted
- Additional documents to govern assets not covered by the Will (such as superannuation, trust assets and many jointly held assets)
- A tax effective strategy to save money for your estate and loved ones
- A risk strategy against the increasing threat of an estate claim (by spouses, children and other eligible applicants)
- Asset protection for the inheritance you leave to your beneficiaries, such as a testamentary trust in your Will, to secure your legacy
- In the event of your incapacity, a robust strategy and thoroughly drafted documents, to protect you and your assets
We’re here to help you
When we meet, we will take the time to advise you on your options, tailored to your needs and particular situation. We can help you put together a comprehensive estate plan that ‘ticks all of the boxes’, along with a fixed fee quote.
Our Estate Planning Services
We offer the full range of estate planning strategies and our team of career dedicated estate planning lawyers has the expertise to ensure you have a strong estate plan so that your legacy is secured.
Our Easy Process and Fixed-Fee Pricing
Because we focus only on estate work, we provide you with a professional estate service that is efficient and cost effective.
Our highly experienced legal team not only provide you with the best estate services and legal solutions but we have also worked hard to provide you with a great client experience.
If you are a first time client, we offer a special discount for your first consultation (up to 1.5 hours) of $295+GST. In that time you will receive valuable, tailored advice. There is no obligation to proceed, but if you do, we will deduct the $295+GST off the price of any Will that you go ahead with. We offer an Australia wide service.
Your estate planning is made quick and easy with our unique ‘4 easy steps’ process.
Our unique ‘4 easy steps’ makes the process easy
Expert Estate Planning with Fixed Fees
Meet With Your Lawyer
Whether we meet virtually or face to face, we will listen, answer your questions, craft your estate plan and provide you with a fixed fee quote.
We’ll Keep You Updated
You will receive draft documents to review. You can discuss your plan with us at any time you want.
Final Document Meeting
We will go through all of your final documents together to ensure the plan is exactly what you want.
Safe Custody of your documents
We are here for you and your family for the long term. We offer you as our client a safe storage solution for your estate planning documents at no charge.
Your documents are stored in a professional offsite facility where we carefully record and preserve the original estate planning documents that we create for you, along with other important documents relating to your estate plan, such as title deeds.
For additional record-keeping security, we also scan all of your signed documents and store them electronically. These scanned documents are also available to you as our client free of charge.
If you need to retrieve a document, we will attend to your request promptly at no charge to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Estate Planning?
Is estate planning the same as a Will?
Do I need a lawyer to make a Will?
The answer is ‘no, you can prepare a DIY Will’, but it may be the most expensive Will you ever do! The area of Wills and estate planning is becoming more and more complex, and the litigated cases are rapidly increasing and are very expensive to run. Many DIY Wills come before the courts, and the cases primarily are on two issues:
- Clauses in the DIY will are not drafted professionally enough, and so its meaning is unclear. The court takes the Willmaker’s drafting very seriously because the Willmaker is no longer available to clarify what they meant. Questions arise on what appears to be the simplest of drafting, such as ‘does a gift of my home’ mean the gift of my retirement village unit?’ Or ‘does a gift of $50,000 to my niece Mary and my nephew John’ mean $50,000 each, or together? Legal fees can (and have) easily run to over $100,000 to answer these questions, not to mention the delays and added stress on the family.
- DIY Wills often are drafted without proper knowledge of the limits of a Will (for example it does not automatically dictate how your super will pass, or how joint tenancies will pass) or take into account the risk of estate claims by eligible persons who have not been adequately provided for in the Will.
No wonder DIY Will kits are called the estate litigation lawyers best friend! Proper Will preparation and estate planning is key. Estate First have specialist estate planning lawyers who know the risks involved in this area of law and can provide you with a fixed fee quote to ensure you have peace of mind when it comes to your legacy.
What is the role of an estate planning lawyer?
- Advise on ways to protect your assets, from estate claims and unnecessary tax;
- Preparing a Will that maximises your family’s inheritance, including Testamentary Trusts if you wish;
- Preparing your Enduring Power of Attorney and other documents if you were incapacitated;
- Advise you when selecting executors and guardians;
- Prepare other estate planning documents for your super or trusts to secure your interests after your death; and
- Keep your Will and other relevant legal documents securely.
Why choose Estate First Lawyers for estate planning?
"We have confidence in the integrity, knowledge and skills of the people at Estate First Lawyers. Everyone I’ve dealt with at Estate First Lawyers has been friendly and reliable."
"We should just like to re-emphasize how pleased we are to have come to you for our Estate Planning. We have been very impressed with the attention to detail and the way various options to meet our needs have been presented and worked through."
"Very professional, personal service and understanding of our individual needs. We felt very comfortable and were guided through the process with expert advice tailored to our situation."